Friday, November 03, 2006

Change in selection method for States needed?

If this subject doesn't evoke comments, I'll be a bit suprised.

First off, I couldn't attend yesterday's Iolani-Punahou varsity girls volleyball game as I had a scheduling conflict involving my daughters' XC team. The prize was large for this volleyball match, a berth in the State Championships. Punahou won 26-24 and 28-26. From reading the newspaper article it sounds like it was another wonderful, close match. My congratulations to Punahou. I know you'll represent the ILH well.

I have witnessed quite a few close matches this year between the 3 schools - Kamehameha, Punahou and Iolani. They are all excellent teams. In the top 10 poll each week, I believe these 3 have been ranked 1-2-3 the whole season, I know they have been the last few weeks anyway.

Which brings me to my point. As a sports fan, I'd like to see the top teams battle it out in the state championship tournament. These 3 schools pretty regularly produce top teams, in many sports. In volleyball, with only 2 berths available for the ILH, one of these teams is left out.

I'm not saying this now just because Iolani will be watching from the sidelines this year, although I admit it irritates me enough to write about it.:) Punahou, last year, was in the same sad position.

Bottom line, I think these 3 teams are the best 3 in the state and the polls agree. The NFL has a wild card system to allow better teams in to the playoffs that don't make it the "regular" way. Maybe something like that, using the weekly polls as a basis, could make the selection of teams fairer and produce a better, more exciting championship?

Just a thought.

Comments welcome.

Al

No comments: