Friday, May 04, 2007

Huh? You crazy?

Sorry I haven't updated the blog for a while. "Busy" is a huge understatement and there are just so many hours in the day. Besides the time you see me at events taking pictures, you may not realize that processing those photos takes more time than the actual photography. Then there are all the websites that depend on my photography:

www.sportshigh.com www.hi50sports.com www.usatf-hi.org www.iolani-events.org www.iolani.org

When I'm done with all that, I work on collages and posters. That backlog is pretty large right now, but as they say, that's a lot better than the alternative.

So, to answer all of you that are asking me why I did not cover the hugely important Varsity Girls Basketball game last night against Kamehameha, here goes:

First of all, I desperately wanted to see that game. It's no secret that I have favorite teams. I'm not only a photographer, I'm a fan. And this varsity team has captured my heart. It's not the first team that has done that, and it won't be the last, but I really enjoy watching this team play. Anyway, I (like everyone else) didn't know about this game until 2 days before. I already had other games that I had planned to cover during that time. Combine that with the fact that St. Louis' lighting is, well, awful. Also, I knew that win or lose, this varsity team was going to continue playing, either at the ILH tournament or at States or both, but I knew this wasn't their last game.

The 2 games I covered were the Intermediate 1 game and the JV game, both against MPI. Both those games were the last games I could cover for those teams.

So, it came down to going to the game at St. Louis as a fan (the lighting is so terrible that I figured my photos wouldn't be up to my standards, so why even try?) or cover 2 teams that were finishing their season and have been very supportive of my work. Well, you know what I decided.

I hope to cover the varsity basketball team at States. But I'll let everyone know right now, I will not be able to cover the last 2 days of States in basketball. I have already made my travel arrangements and will be covering States in Track and Field on Maui that Friday and Saturday. I wish the schedule was such that the different sports didn't overlap, but I imagine there just isn't enough time to do it that way.

In the meantime, I will continue to have to make very tough decisions.

That's all for now.

Al

No comments: