Saturday, December 02, 2006

Report from Footlocker - 2


Hi All,

December 2nd Saturday

Well the big day has finally arrived. There are kids from all over the western United States here. Last night a bus with 60 runners showed up from Idaho. It was really noisy up until 10 Pm and then it got really quite. I guess that was lights out. We got up this morning at 5:45 AM uhhhhhhh. Really, who wants to get up and go to one of the biggest races in the west at 5:45? Not me! My race was at 7:05 am. It was still dark out!!!!. We arrived and oh my god, I was nervous. I was in many layers. My running jersey, my Nike lycra top, my Footlocker t-shirt, and my light warm up jacket. And I was still freezing! I had a hard time tying my shoes because I couldn't feel my hands. They had a huge jumbo screen showing highlights from past years and music playing the Olympic Anthem. The music was very inspirational. The TV guys had set up platforms all over the course so you could watch it live on the Internet. There were already hundreds of runners warming up for their races. There are always two races going at once and one more lining up to start. These Mt. SAC guys are GOOD!! At 7:00am the race officials informed us they were going to run the boys with the girls because there were not enough of us girls. I hate that because its hard to tell where you are. And some of these boys with long hair made it hard telling who's who, no offense. I lined up next to Tiffany Heflin (last year's winner). The gun went off and we were gone. It was a real fast start. I passed the half mile in 2:43, Tiffany was 2:35 and gone. Hit the mile at 5:54 but Tiffany was already way ahead. Her mile split was 5:35. A lot of California girls are running that fast. I really wanted to see Jordan Hassey's start but we would have had to wait two hours for the girls seeded race. But we wanted to go to Universal Studios. Actually I'm going right now. I'd like to give a huge THANK YOU to Al Linsky for this awesome blog and beautiful photos. Also Valley Isle Road Runners, for all their support, and help getting me to this race. This was a very important learning experience and I'm looking forward to coming back and medaling.

Lea

No comments: