Monday, November 13, 2006

XC State Championships - Boys

So how did I do with my boy's predictions? I had predicted:

1. Leilehua or Kamehameha (Oahu)
3. Iolani
4. Punahou
5. Baldwin
6. Seabury Hall







The actual results were:

1. Kamehameha (Oahu)
2. Leilehua
3. Iolani
4. Honokaa
5. Punahou
6. Seabury Hall

So, I nailed the top 3 (like I did on the girls side), I missed on Honokaa totally at 4th, Punahou was 5th instead of 4th, Seabury Hall was 6th. Baldwin slipped all the way to 10th. Next year I need to follow the outer islands more closely but I am proud of my record. (I sure am lucky, who said that?)

As for next year, this is how it looks to me. Please keep in mind that I'm more familiar with the girls side. That tends to happen when you have 2 daughters running!

Kamehameha (Oahu) loses 3 seniors, but with the size of their program, they should be able to reload. May not win next year, but will still be a top team.

Leilehua - next year should be Leilehua's year. They have the best male runner in the state in Bryce Jenkins and he's only in 10th grade. They only lose one senior and he wasn't in the top 5. Leilehua is the favorite for 2007.

Iolani - Iolani loses 2 seniors, including Kon Weber. That is a huge loss, but the program at Iolani is large and well run. They will find replacements and still be in the top few.

Honokaa - Honokaa will sustain major damage as they lose 3 seniors, 2 of their top 3. I don't know much about this program but they will need a good pipeline to maintain their strong showing from 2006.

Punahou - Punahou only loses one senior. They should be better next year.

Seabury - Seabury loses their 1, 3 and 6 runners. They are pretty much in the same situation as Honokaa.

Radford - Radford only had 5 runners and they are losing their top runner so the pipeline better be strong or their visit to the top 10 will be short-lived.

HBA - Matthew Nakamoto is only in 10th grade. He came on like gang busters this year and should be a good foundation for HBA to build on. They lose Spencer Sutherland, but HBA is an improving program. My personal theory is that having someone like Lauren Ho at HBA attracted more kids to the program and although Lauren is now running at the college level, the program continues to reap benefits from her wonderful career.

Kaiser - Loses 3 seniors.

Baldwin - Loses 4 seniors. It will be a challenging year for Baldwin.

The 3 runners pictured on this page are Bryce Jenkins (16:23), Mac Crommett (16:40) and Kon Weber (16:41).

No comments: