Friday, September 01, 2006

Choosing Events To Cover

I get many inquiries on what events I plan to cover. This is my thought process and how I prioritize:

1. I have 2 daughters active in sports and other activities at Iolani School. If they are competing/performing, I am there. In the fall, this means that I will be at all cross-country meets.

2. The schedule plays a huge part in the process. I usually need to leave school by about 6:00pm on weekdays as I have family obligations. So, on weekdays, if your event starts from 3:30 to about 4:30, there is a high likelihood I can make it. There will be some weekdays I will be able to make "night" games but it will not be many.

3. What happens when there are 3 events at the same time? If you look at the school schedule you will see that this happens all the time. So how do I choose between them?

a. Has the school asked me to cover a specific event?
b. How much have I already covered this team?
c. How well has this team supported me in the past?
d. How much interest has this team shown in my work?
e. How "photogenic" is the sport?
f. How much do I enjoy covering this sport?

As you see, it is not a science. And I just might "feel like" covering a certain sport that day. If I know someone wants me to be there I will certainly take that into account. There is one fall team already that has been very good about letting me know so they will definitely get extra consideration. So let me know if you have an interest in me covering your event.

No comments: