Friday, September 15, 2006

Iolani JV Black Boys Volleyball vs Maryknoll


Yesterday was my first chance to shoot a boys volleyball game this season. It was over so fast, though, that I almost missed it! This was a huge mismatch with our Raiders overwhelming a smaller, at times disinterested looking Maryknoll team, 25-9 and 25-12.

The Iolani team looked very good, but how can you really tell when the other team can't extend you?

I look forward to seeing this team play when they are pushed. Maybe HBA can provide the needed competition on Saturday?

On the photographic news front, I finally received my repaired D70 after an over 2 month wait. This allows me to have 2 camera bodies at each event. Having 2 different lenses available without doing any switching is a huge advantage and convenience and will be very helpful in certain sports.

But, I had a few difficulties yesterday. The D70 is quite a different camera from the D200, which is now my workhorse camera. The D70 is a good camera, but it is slower (3 frames a second vs 5 frames a second) and has it's own set of gadgets to master. I used my "smash and block" lens on the D70 and must say I wasn't that thrilled with the results. There were a lot of "good content" photos, but too many that were out of focus that I needed to delete. I may need to use that lens exclusively on the D200.

Today I plan on doing the Girls JV Black Soccer game vs Punahou Gold at Kapiolani. This is a matchup I really look forward to. Two good teams slugging it out. Can't wait!

No comments: