Tuesday, September 12, 2006

September 11, 2006 - Iolani JV Red Soccer vs Punahou Gold

Monday was a chance to get back to soccer! I love shooting soccer. The light is usually excellent, and there is lots of action which means there are many opportunities for spectacular photos.

Yesterday's game was between the Iolani Girls JV Red team and the Punahou Gold team. Iolani has 2 JV teams this year and they are not equal in ability. The Black team is the stronger team. Also, this year Punahou did not have enough girls to make 2 teams which means the one team should be stronger. So going into this game I was not really expecting Iolani to stay with the Punahou team.







Alas, I was right. The first half only saw one Punahou goal. Truthfully, though, we were lucky. I don't know what the shot totals were but we were outshot by a huge margin. Actually, I don't remember any Iolani shots on goal. Sigh...

In the second half it went from rough, to ummm, rougher! Punahou scored on an own goal, then on a header, then on a great individual effort. Final score was 4-0. It easily could have been 8-0. On the good side, the Iolani girls never gave up. They were still playing hard when the final whistle blew.

I am looking forward to Friday's game between this same Punahou team and our JV Black team. That should be a good, competitive game.

This afternoon I will be covering the Girls Varsity volleyball game vs. Maryknoll. I purchased a special lens just to cover volleyball smashes and blocks. Today I try it out for the first time in game conditions! My plan is to do one half with the new lens concentrating on our front line. The other half will be done with a shorter, but faster, lens to cover the backcourt.

To see the complete gallery of photos from the soccer game, please click here.

No comments: